Some of Alan's views on this digital marketing malarkey ... there's more on: AlanCharlesworth.com

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

good but-lost-opportunity practice

As I ate my lunchtime sandwich today, I was surfing around looking for a cheap summer break [hey - I'm a lecturer, we may get long holidays, but we don't get paid that much]. As is common practice with such companies, the Thomson Holidays web site includes short videos of the hotel - a kind of moving brochure. This is fine as far as it goes, but that it is simply a moving brochure means an opportunity is being lost.

Why not have the manager/owner/staff member/company rep take me on a short guided tour? Or even simply replace the traditional Greek music soundtrack with a voice-over describing what I'm seeing on my screen?

You could even emphasize selling points in 'real time', for example, if the beach is 'on the doorstep' of the hotel, show someone walking from the reception to the beach - the voice-over can be covering other issues in the minute of so that it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment